Burt’s Bees at 30
I don’t know if I’ve mentioned this before, but Burt’s Bees has always been a favorite of mine when it comes to organic skincare. It never fails to impress me and their products are just phenomenal. The last products I encountered from the brand are the items from the Daisy White skincare line and I must say, I’m very impressed.
Last August 13, I was one of the beauty bloggers who were invited to celebrate Burt’s Bees 30th Birthday. Imagine, Burt’s Bees has already been here for 30 years! Wow! The event was held at Seda Hotel at BGC. Before entering the main function room, we were given our own mason jars with our names written on them. We filled them with our favorite sliced fruits, honey then water. We also get to grab some fruits on our way to our seat.
Then on our seats, they had our own art materials waiting (watercolor, pencil and paper) for the activity later, a Burt’s Bees notepad along with our favorite product. My favorite product was actually the Burt’s Bees lip balm but I’m glad that they gave me something different because I actually liked this hand cream
During the event proper, Ms. May Samson, the Brand Manager, discussed with us the three pillars where the brand is built on:
- The bees. These fuzzy little insects are our partners in bringing you only the best; they are our helpers from the hive. To ensure that what goes into our products and into each of your hands is authentic and true to our brand promise, we don’t stray away from the way things were done in 1984. Everything is still sustainable and cruelty-free as we don’t test on animals and operate on our vision of The Greater Good—good for you, good for our brand, and good for the environment.
- The beekeeper. 79-year-old Burt Shavitz still lives today, not as the iconic sketch you would see on our tins, but as a man who has completely embraced his hippie lifestyle despite his success and fame. Recently hailed by the New York Times (NYT) as “the world’s most famous retired beekeeper,” it is inspiring to learn of his humble beginnings. From worn-out turkey coop turned home to a world-renowned business empire, this is truly a story of organic success. When you have a great product, it just grows…naturally. And you wouldn’t need anything more other than itself to have it be loved by millions all over.
- Ingredients we can spell. Today we are featuring our Classics, the products that have spearheaded the birth of Burt’s Bees as we know it today. If you will look at the brochure in the press kit, you will see the heritage of each product and their hero ingredients—tomato for our Garden Tomato Toner, peach for our Peach and Willowbark Scrub, rose for our Rosewater Toner, chamomile for our Soap Bark and Chamomile Facial Cleanser and orange for our Orange Essence Facial Cleanser. These products cater to each of your skincare needs and have been considered holy grail products to some of our most loyal fans.
We were also given a glimpse of how Burt Shavitz (Yes, the BURT from Burt’s Bees :P) is in real life. You can watch Burt’s upcoming movie here:
In the recent years, the brand has expanded to include six skincare lines to cater to both men and women’s needs.
- For a radiant glow, try the Radiance Line which is infused with royal jelly, a special ingredient packed with essential nutrients and vitamins for your skin.
- For a more even complexion, the Daisy White range that features daisy white extract from the Macedonian region naturally has whitening properties that is perfect for you who seek a fairer tone.
- For those looking into an effective acne-fighting system, the Acne Solutions range naturally zaps those unwanted impurities with a powerful dose of willow bark extract, which has salicylic acid to combat acne-related problems.
- For complexions with a need for deep replenishing they offer the Intense Hydration line. It is formulated with clary sage, a plant which is known for its water-retention properties as it is a plant that thrives even in the harsh desert climate.
- The Sensitive range has cotton extract to address those with a delicate complexion, while the Naturally Ageless line is made with pomegranate extract which promises an even more youthful appearance.
After the discussion, Liz, from projectvanity.com conducted a watercolor activity. She demonstrated a few brush strokes, gave us the basics about the color wheel, brushes, and papers to be used, mixing colors and shades. You should follow her at her instagram account, @lizlanuzo. She posts her artwork there, and she’s amazing. She created that tree down there by just demonstrating us how to mix colors. It was fascinating! I wish I had that talent!
After Liz’ demonstration, we were asked to draw a still-life. It had to be done, loves. I’m sorry. I’ve always admitted that I’m not good in painting. I actually tried to draw an orange or the fruits at the table but since I can’t see it I just settled for the flowers (which is why they’re round, lol). One of my co-beauty bloggers said that it was an orange. I told her I think it actually looks like a basketball.
Sorry loves, just not good at this. Never was
We were also served with really delicious appetizers, salads and desserts. I wasn’t able to take a photo of them all and I didn’t really bother because I’m just not good in taking photos of food. I need to polish that skill first, lol. We also got the chance to taste those cupcakes and macarons (the ones pictured above) and I gotta say, I loved those macarons! I wonder who made them.
Oh, and here’s me with my co-beauty bloggers/event buddies. Celline (from cellinereyes.com) and Gen-zel (from genzelkisses.com). Photo grabbed from @genzelkisses
After the main event, we were given these beautiful loot bags with classic Burt’s Bees products. I can’t wait to use them all and review them for you.
Congratulations Burt’s Bees and Happy 30th Birthday! As they say, may you have many more birthdays to come! (although that’s very possible even without me wishing for it)
You may also follow them via Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BurtsBeesPH
or via Instagram & Twitter: @burtsbeesph
for more information